Wild Garlic Pesto and a First Foraging Adventure


When I was growing up, my house and my plate was always full of food we had found somewhere outside. Some of it was intentionally planted in my mother's extensive garden, but much of it came from a walk through the countryside where we lived. Berries were wolfed down in summer (with ice cream, if we were lucky), brambles turned into jam. Honey tasted that little bit sweeter knowing it came from my father's bees.

I wish I had half the patience and skill my mother has in turning nature's treasures into delicious meals, but sadly, that gene never made it to me. But when a wave of wild garlic swept our noses while out on a family walk last weekend, I knew we had to come back and pick some. There was pesto (and memories) to be made!

So yesterday we went back to our beloved little woods, armed with cloth bags and a completely disproportionate amount of enthusiasm. The girls greeted their first foraging adventure as children do: first with trepidation (you want me to eat a leaf from the ground?!), and then with absolute glee (Mama's letting me eat leaves!). We, of course, also took the opportunity to find some tiny snails, collect sticks for an ongoing project, and look for fallen trees (J's latest woodland obsession).

Today we washed and chopped our wild garlic, and mixed it up into the creamiest pesto. It's super simple to make (perfect for people like me, and any helpful toddlers), and so so delicious. Both girls and their papa loved it, and J was super proud of her creation. Definitely a winner!

Simple Wild Garlic Pesto

50g finely chopped wild garlic leaves
50g chopped almonds
100g grated parmesan
100ml olive oil
1 lemon - juice and rind
salt and pepper

Toast the almonds in a frying pan (without oil). Mix together with the other ingredients. Enjoy!

...yes, it really is that simple. We'll be enjoying ours with pasta tomorrow, and will be chopping our leftover leaves into risotto with kohlrabi later in the week. So excited!

Comments

Popular Posts