A Solemn Vow

Here’s a confession: I used to read. I used to read before bed, during breaks at work, on the tram, on the toilet if I had to. My bags were constantly weighed down by books, the lives of their characters occupying my mind even when their pages were closed. 
Then I had a baby. Now the time I used to have for books is filled with wet nappies and dummies that need to be put back into my daughter’s mouth (and spat back out again by her so the game became an endless in and out). Even when I do have a moment my eyes are too tired and my brain too full of ‘Old McDonald’ and ‘The Itsy Bitsy Spider’ for books and reading.

But, honestly, I have another confession: my day really isn’t too full for books. It’s not. My daughter - thankfully - belongs to that rare group of 'good sleepers’ and my evenings are usually free to do whatever I feel like. And I really don’t feel like watching 'A Place in the Sun’ as often as I currently do.

So this is it. A solemn vow to make a little space for the reader in me. To turn off the TV and pick up a book that’s not about babies or for babies. To finish the story that was interrupted - quite literally - when my waters broke.

Just don’t ask me what I’m reading next. My brain is far too fried and my eyes are far too tired to look into that. 

Comments

Popular Posts